25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Review

Cali Layton, Staff Writer

This weekend Farmington High theatre students put on the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee in the main auditorium. This fun, quirky musical stars six students participating in the county spelling bee, and the adults that help them in the process. Each is trying their hardest to win, but over the course of the story they are faced with many obstacles. 

This musical is unique because it has something that no other musical has. Before the show begins, audience members are selected to participate in the show. After the main characters come on stage, the pre-selected audience members are called up on the stage to participate in spelling words. They sit mixed in with the cast members until their name is called to spell a word. Then, they act as if they are a part of a real spelling bee. The pronouncer gives them words in a comical way, and they are on the stage until they spell a word wrong. This is one of the ways that this musical included the audience and created an interesting viewing experience. 

In this production there were two different casts, teal and silver. Personally, I saw the teal cast’s performance. This cast featured seniors, and FHS Theatre department stars, Taylor Garlick and Kallam MacKay who played Leaf Coneybear and William Farfee respectively. All members of the teal cast did a fantastic job. Their singing and acting performances were amusing and on brand for the characters they were playing. 

“I loved how Kallam and his brother were in it together and how their characters interacted! It was very funny!” senior,  Rachel Braithwaite said.

“I loved the play! The acting was phenomenal and it deserves more hype than it’s getting!” sophomore, Lola Layton said. Overall, the FHS Theatre department’s production of the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is a great musical! I would highly recommend seeing this show if you are looking for a good time! If you would like to support these students by coming to the show, it runs from April 21st through May 1st.