Types of Fashion Trends

Lucy Larson, Arts and Entertainment Reporter

Fashion is one of the most popular forms of self-expression. Style changes from person to person, and many people look to social media and other people to discover the next big trends.

There are multiple types of trends that differ in how they were created, how long they last, and the frequency that they are created.

Fads and/or micro trends are categorized by short, but aggressive spikes in an article of clothes popularity. TikTok is a large outlet for micro trends because of the quick and seemingly instant popularity they gain. Cow prints, fuzzy bags, and corset tops can all fall into the fads category because of the short-lived nature of the trends.

“Micro trends are alright but also not for everyone. I think they can be fun to try out and be creative with but if you don’t like a trend then you shouldn’t feel pressured to participate,” sophomore, Emma Madsen, said.

The second trend category is classics. These articles of clothing have stood the longest test of time. This type of clothing is commonly referred to as basics. Basics are normally simple and able to adapt to many assorted styles. Trench coats, denim, and leather are examples of classics because they have lasted for multiple generations.

“Classics are great. They create a sustainable way of reusing clothes throughout different trends. They never go out of style so you can use them for as long as they are good for,” sophomore, Maggie Robins, said.

The last and most common category is fashion. This is the basic day to day clothes that become popular and mainly follow decades. 2000s, 90s, and 50s are all styles that lasted long enough to be considered fashion trends. Think more about aesthetics. Grunge, preppy, athletic, etc. They have fallen in and out of popularity over many years. Fashion also tends to be repetitive. We can see this in the resurgence of Y2K inspirations this past year.

“Fashion is unique for everyone, and no one should ever make fun of anyone else for expressing themselves by what they wear,” sophomore, Megan Daines, said.

Trends are fun ways to connect with people over a shared love for clothing. Fashion is subjective and changes from person to person, but that doesn’t mean you can’t participate in popular styles.