Meet Keika Komiyama

Mayli Winter, Reporter

Since Farmington High opened a year ago, we have had many foreign exchange students. One student this year, is from Japan. Her name is Keika Komiyama. She was willing to answer some questions about the school and Japan. 

When she was asked why she came to Utah she replied saying that Utah is famous for the beautiful nature, safe places and kind people to help exchange students. Also, her host family, who she says is very kind, lives here. 

“I’m so happy to be here.” Komiyama adds. 

She loves the kind people and beautiful landscapes and nature. She thinks station park is very convenient. She also said that the students and people of Utah are very kind to her. 

Keika said that she is taking all sorts of classes. Some of which are; Marine Biology, Math, Computer Programming, English, Marketing, Band and food. You might have a class with her! 

Her favorite thing about Japan is the food, the people, how clean it is, and the advanced technology. The food is extremely delicious, according to Keika, and the people are very kind. She says that their technology is really advanced and gave the example of the bullet train. The bullet train can take passengers to their destinations from speeds up to 130 mph. Keika says that it’s very convenient. 

Keika says that the hardest thing about leaving Japan to live in Utah was sharing her opinion with people, and the language. She says that in Japan, schools mostly have you take notes. They don’t have class discussions like we do at Farmington High. It’s also very hard to have a language class, especially when all your classes are in that language. 

Keika is a very sweet kind girl. She is always smiling and is nice to everyone. If you ever see her in the halls, or you have a class with her, say hi and become friends with her. You won’t regret it one bit.