Seniors Give New Sophomore Drivers Some Driving Tips

Kate Scott, Social Media Editor

There is nothing a sophomore loves more than turning 16 and getting their driver’s license. They head over to the dmv after school and get to take their license photo, but little do they know the picture will haunt them for 5 more years. Getting your license after waiting for months, even years is one of the best feelings in the world. They no longer have to drive with their parents freaking out about every little turn and stop, now they can drive all by themselves. 

In most families when their teenager gets their license it is a blessing for both the driver and the parents. The parents no longer have to drive their kids all over town and take them to a friend’s house. In some cases when the teenager has younger siblings, the parents also don’t have to pick them up at friends their new driver can do it instead. Just like there are good things about student drivers there are also some bad things. Some of them could include the cost of insurance for new drivers, the risk of them getting in an accident and getting hurt, and so many more. 

It is November and winter is almost here and most, if not all the Sophomores have no winter driving experience. The weather does not favor any type of driving. It is very dangerous not only to new drivers but also experienced drivers as well. There is no escaping the wrath of winter and for most drivers it can be scary to drive in extreme weather conditions. A couple of students at Farmington high give advice to new sophomore drivers. 

“Drive really slow in the snow. If you have to go below the speed limit and cars are behind you ignore them, it is very dangerous to drive in the snow and safety is number one, “ Senior, Kaylee Gwynn, said.

Sometimes not only do new drivers need advice but those that already have some driving experience themselves. Every once in awhile, especially in the snow, the slower you go the better. Whether you are driving at night, fog, rain, and snow driving below the limit is ok. But when the weather is perfectly fine going below the speed limit can be very dangerous. 

“Try to avoid driving in the snow as much as possible. If you can try to carpool with your friends or neighbors the less amount of time you drive in the snow the better,” Junior, Courtney Jade, said.

When it comes down to driving in any condition while being a new driver, nevertheless the snow. One of the only few things you can do is take some driving tips from those that have some driving experience. And drive safely.