A Surprisingly Popular Sport: Spikeball

A Surprisingly Popular Sport: Spikeball

Ryan Bennett, Sports Reporter

Spikeball. One of the simplest games, and a sport rapidly growing in popularity worldwide. With essentially just a ball and a net, spikeball has over four million players and more than 150 tournaments every year. In just our school, students spend hours and hours playing with their friends and trying to get better at the game.

Spikeball is a Four-player game with two teams of two. The game starts with one player serving the ball to the other team, by hitting the ball into the net. The next team now has three hits between each other to get the ball back on the net. This play continues until one team fails to return the ball. When one team messes up, the other team receives a point. Typically, a game is played to 11 or 21 points, having to win by two points. When first getting into the sport, it might be a little slow-paced and simple. But as players advance in the game it will require more and more strategy, athleticism, and teamwork. Players end up doing trick plays, diving on the ground, and running around the net tens of times just in a single set.

At Farmington High, we have multiple students that also are spikeball ambassadors. I sat down with them, and we talked about what makes spikeball so enticing, and what it takes to get good. 

“Spikeball gives a lot of us something to do when we have free time. It’s easy, it’s portable, it’s a good game,” senior Tate Martinueau said.  

“It’s fun because you can play it with all your friends, and it gets really intense,” senior Dallin Holt said.

“You know it’s a relatively new sport, and it combines other sports like volleyball and foursquare. It brings new life to young kids these days,” senior Ethan Peterson said.

Even though spikeball is simple and cheap, it is clearly a ton of fun. People all around the world spend hours perfecting their game and trying to improve. If you are looking for a new hobby, try spikeball.