The US Qualifies for 2022 Men’s World Cup

Treyden Schow, Sports Reporter

The United States Men’s National Team (also known as the USMNT) finishes off their final match on the road to qualifying for the men’s World Cup with a 1 – 0 victory. Their match was a very hard-fought match right to the finish. The single goal scored by the United States team did not come until early in the second half of the match. After that, it was a game of endurance and stamina for the US, trying to hold out against El Salvador. Lucky for us, they were able to hold out and secure the victory.

“I love the World Cup. I’ve been watching since I was a kid,” junior, Collin Wright, said.

The US has been struggling to score early in the match in all nine of their previous qualifying matches. Despite this fact, the United States team has won the majority of their matches and some by a three-goal deficit. Not that it was an easy road to victory for the team, because most of their matches have been difficult, and many matches have resulted in ties, and even a few losses. But even when faced with such obstacles, the US was able to pull out the win in their last match to make it into the World Cup.

“I mean, I don’t even play soccer, but the World Cup seems like a pretty big thing,” sophomore, Tage Schow, said.

Last World Cup, the United States Men’s National Team missed out on qualifying for the World Cup, even though before that they had not missed qualifying for a single World Cup since 1990. That is what makes this World Cup so special for our country, so it’s really important that we support our home team this year and cheer for them all the way.