Parking Shenanigans

Parking Shenanigans

Courtney Clifford, Student Life Reporter

Do you ever pull up to school and can’t find a parking spot? When you arrive at Farmington High School’s parking lot you’re guaranteed to catch some wild parking maneuvers. You look to your left and there’s teenagers running into the school to make it to class on time. Then, you look to your right and there’s that one kid with the lifted truck showing his friends his new flags he just added to the truck bed. Finally, you hear a bunch of laughter from friends meeting up, or maybe it’s just senior’s arriving two hours too late. Our parking lot chaos leads to adventures in student life.
In fact, some parking jobs can get so messy it’s comedic. Students at Farmington High have made an Instagram account dedicated to students’ bad parking jobs. The most often featured bad parking jobs are posted when people park on pedestrian walkways that are off parking limits. Another great post is of trucks and jeeps trying to fit their way into parking spots that aren’t actual parking spots so they run over the curb to fit.
In Farmington High’s parking lot, we have the crazy, beginner driver, sophomores. The school parking lot does have limited space, so technically, sophomores are not allowed to park on Farmington High School property, but they do anyway. Although we don’t have assigned parking spots, it’s pretty clear which parking jobs are done by sophomores, or in some rare cases, students running late and in a hurry. However, we all know when a group of sophomores pull up carpooling as the music is bumping, passengers laughing, and a good school day is yet to come.
“I think that sophomores who park in the parking lot are not very cool because that is what the road is for. They can park on the side of the road,” junior, Noah Stephens, said.
“The parking situation right now is the sophomores take up space that they shouldn’t because they shouldn’t be parking in the parking lot. If they were allowed to have parking passes, then we definitely wouldn’t have parking space,” junior, Bodie Williamson, said.
With all the chaos and lack of available parking comes parking citations. Noah Stephens has gotten a parking ticket for parking in the driving range without a pass and he didn’t think it was fair. It’s important to know and read the rules before parking to know where, and when, you can park with a student parking pass. You can find more parking information on the Farmington High webpage.
Is the parking lot actually safe with all the newly driving sophomores, teens in a rush, and limited parking?
“Sometimes the parking lot is empty, and you’re like, ‘I wanna skrrt, skrrt around in this parking lot.’ But, if there’s people it would be unsafe, so it depends on the time of day,” Williamson said.
The parking lot will be safe if we drive safely and in consideration of others when driving through and parking. Many memories are made in Farmington High’s parking lot through trying to find a spot, showing off each other’s cars, and driving through saying hi to peer friends. Overall, Farmington High’s parking lot is full of fast-paced adventure!