Promposal Season

Promposal Season

Nalaya Bybee, Arts and Entertainment Reporter

It’s that time of year again, Prom is right around the corner.The biggest dance of the year. People go all out with Prom, from the dress, to the dinner, the date and even the Promposal. So what even is a Promposal? The definition is “an elaborately staged request to be someone’s date to a Prom”. Some people go crazy with how they ask their date, and some just stay simple. Over the years, I think Promposals have decreased in popularity overall, but they still continue to be a staple in high school. There are still some people who go all out to ask their dream date to the Prom, but others keep it mellow by just leaving a simple poster on the doorstep. Now that I am a senior in high school, I realize how silly it can be to do all this crazy stuff just for a dance that is just one night, but I think that this is the crazy stuff that makes high school so fun.

Another way that I have seen Promposals is through movies for as long as I can remember. I would watch those cheesy teen romance movies with elaborate Promposals. An iconic Promposal that I can always recall is from the movie “10 things I hate about you” when the lead male character gets up in front of the whole girls soccer team and sings to the lead female character and then proceeds to ask her to Prom. It was cute in the movie, and especially cute when I was younger, but in reality if anyone ever did that as a way to ask me to Prom, I would be very embarrassed. Most people don’t ask to Prom in the way we see in movies, but that is just another way to see how Promposals have come to be such a big deal.

I asked some high schoolers to get their opinion on being Promposed to or Promposing to someone and here are some of their thoughts.

“If you have the chance, you should go big or go home, it makes asking to dance so much fun,” senior, Scott Taylor, said.

“Personally, I don’t like being asked in a big way and like a more personal approach but I think it just depends on the person,” senior, Kaitlyn Clark, said.

As Prom is coming up soon, I hope everyone who gets asked, or doesn’t can enjoy this last dance of the year. I also hope we can all take time to celebrate making it this far into high school, and have fun with Prom while we still can.