To MAPS or not to MAPS

Ashley Hintze, Student Life Reporter

Look deep inside and ask yourself a question. Is MAPS really worth it? Hundreds of students make the decision every day of whether they want to attend their MAPS class or not. Should they skip and run to McDonald’s to pick up a smoothie, or take that content assessment that has been nagging them for weeks? When Mr. Leingang’s senior MAPS class was asked what their high school experience and memories were, here is what they said:

“Leingang box jumping onto the desk the first day, silence the first year, no silence the next two, hot chocolate, playing cards, pickleball at the end of last year, sports debates, uhhhh, Leingang is objectively the best MAPS teacher in the school,” senior, Spencer (Buzzy) Hogge, said.

As sophomores, it can be hard to connect with the people around you, so it is beneficial to try to get to know your classmates early because you will be spending so much time with them during MAPS. Doing this will allow for the most favorable experience. 

“Thanks to MAPS I have become a proud member of the Comic Hot Chocolate Tall Girl Accent Club. For those who do not know, this club consists of Grace drawing comics while we drink hot chocolate, watch Tall Girl (now onto Tall Girl 2) and talk only in accents,” senior, Abbie White, said.

MAPS has a lot of perks to it because you are with the same people every day for three years of high school. There are many opportunities to work together in MAPS competitions or have parties.

“Ranking who was going to die first was a fun memory, also, remember when Leingang jumped on the table when the Bills lost?” senior, Ammon Anderson, said.

Mr. Leingang’s MAPS class likes to rate things such as Disney movies, cereal, sports, and just about everything else. Each MAPS class in Farmington has their own experiences and inside jokes with each other.

As you can see, when students grow together during their three years of MAPS together, they begin to make MAPS more of an adventure each day. Some days can be slow and there is a lot of work when you must study hard, but you can also choose to make the best of this class period and get to know your peers.