Disney Releases New Streaming Service

Mayli Winter, Reporter

Today is all about streaming networks such as Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, and so many more. To add to that list, as of Tuesday November 12th, Disney’s new streaming network called Disney+. In 2017, Disney announced that they were starting their own streaming service. Now, two years later, it’s finally out to subscribe to.  But many people have their doubts. Is another subscription worth it? I’m already paying for Netflix, aren’t they the same? Here’s all you need to know to help you decide. 

Because Disney has made their own streaming network, they are working on taking all their shows and movies off other movie streaming accounts. This includes all Star Wars movies, Marvel movies, Pixar, Disney originals and even National Geographic. They are even put all the movies that were “locked up” in the Disney Vault available on Disney+. As of right now, Disney+ doesn’t have all the shows included in these universes, but they are planning on adding more in the future.  

“I think it’s a great idea,” a Junior at our school, Abi Toole, said. “I think it’s nice to have all the movies at once instead of hoping they would be somewhere else, like Netflix… I think it will do really good for Disney too.” 

Not only does Disney+ have all these movies, it also includes a lot of blasts from the past for many people. Disney is including many beloved TV shows from Disney Channel such as: the Suite Life of Zac and Cody, Wizards of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana, Camp Rock and of course all the High School Musicals. Many people have been wanting Disney Channel to put these shows back on for many years. Now Disney has given them what they wanted.  

“I’m super excited about Disney+,” another Junior here at Farmington High, Anna Caldwell, said. “I’m glad they’re doing shows too cause I’ve been wanting to re-watch all the shows I used to watch but I haven’t been able to and now I will be able to and they’ll all be in one place.” 

Many people are worried about the pricing of the new streaming network, not wanting to pay more for another one of these services. Disney has announced that it will only be $7 a month. Whereas other streaming services, such as Netflix can be up to $16 a month. There is even a plan where you can get subscriptions to Disney+, ESPN, and Hulu for only $12 a month.  

Disney has many new and exciting things that has come from Disney+ this last Tuesday and many people are excited for the Disney movies and shows that everyone loves. Hopefully this helped make your decision easier!