Nix News Senior Gives ACT Tips

Nix News Senior Gives ACT Tips

Sophie McGowen, Reporter

One of the biggest things students will experience in their junior year is definitely taking the ACT. Everyone anticipates it from the time they are in middle school, and so much weight is put on this one test. Students are told that this one test can dictate their entire future. This is not entirely true. While the ACT is incredibly important, it does not dictate the success a student has in high school or outside of high school. Taking this test does not have to be as stressful as it is. With some simple study skills, test taking tips, and healthy habits you will do fine on the test and move forward with your year.  

In the months approaching the test it is important to do some studying. A simple rule in life is the more you put into something the more you will get out. This does not mean you have to spend eight hours a day and hundreds of dollars on studying. It can be as simple as working through an ACT preparation book or reviewing online material. One underrated study skill for taking the ACT is reading! Yes, reading novels for fun can really help you on the test. Comprehension is key for the ACT which means even reading a teenage romance novel can help you to better process information being presented. The science, reading, and English sections on the test are all about reading and comprehension! 

Another tip for the test is find areas you’re strong in and focus on those! If you are terrible at math you probably will not have enough time to try and relearn all materials you are going to be tested on. Instead, focus on growing stronger in subjects you enjoy. Your composite score is an average of all individual categories being tested. That means even if you hate English your math score might be able to save you. 

In the week before the test try not to crash study. Trust that the work you have put in is enough. Relax! Get a good night’s sleep all week and make sure to fuel your body with nutritious food. Try not to get stressed during the text. If you don’t know something take an educated guess and continue on to material you do know. No matter what you will find something on the test you do know how to do. Remember it is just a test and you can always take it again!