Starbucks Is Making Students Broke

Starbucks Is Making Students Broke

Sophie McGowen, Reporter

A five dollar latte every weekday amounts to 1,325 dollars spent on coffee a year. That number may sound astronomical to some students, but for others it is a sad reality. You wake up in the morning and to motivate yourself you decide to go get a coffee. That’s five dollars you’ve spent. Then it’s PLT. Your friends want to go to Starbucks and get a pink drink, that’s another five dollars. Then it’s lunch and they want to go get another, because it’s impossible to just drink one a day. Then after school you go to Starbucks to study but you have to get a drink if you’re sitting in the store to study! Now suddenly you have spent twenty dollars on starbucks today. This is how an innocent treat turns into a major issue for some students bank accounts. With a Starbucks location so close to Farmington sleep deprived students find the caffeinated beverages hard to resist.

“I go to Starbucks at least once a day everyday. If you’re ditching a class you go to Starbucks. It’s a ritual,” Senior, Jane Larsen, said. 

Next time you consider going to Starbucks think amount the amount of money going to that for an entire year. While at first a five dollar drink may seem like it’s not a big deal, understand that it adds up very quickly. You can make your own drinks at home for much cheaper! With adulthood approaching for students they need to take control of their spending and learn the responsibility of managing their money.