Popular Christmas Movies

Jessica John, Student Life Reporter

Once again, it’s the most wonderful time of the year! This year has been pretty chaotic and I think it’s safe to say everyone could use some Christmas cheer. Christmas really is the best time of year because family and friends come together to celebrate the Holidays, gifts are given, lots of hot chocolate is passed around, and it’s the perfect time to spend a day in the snow. (Well at least it usually is. This year I’m definitely dreaming of a White Christmas.)

One of the best parts of Christmas is the wide selection of Christmas movies to choose from. Christmas movies are the best because they make you feel good and help get you in the Holiday spirit. One of my absolute favorites is While You Were Sleeping. It’s about a lady named Lucy who is in love with this guy named Peter but Peter doesn’t know she exists. She works at a train station and everyday she takes his money and gives him his ticket. She doesn’t have any family and all of her friends are with their families so she decides to work on Christmas Eve.

Peter is going into work even though it’s Christmas Eve, and he gets his ticket like usual and starts running to the train. But he never makes it because two guys mug him and push him off of the platform onto the tracks. Lucy sees the whole thing go down and starts calling for help as they run away. She runs to the tracks, sees that Peter is unconscious, and keeps calling for help, but it’s Christmas Eve so no one is around.

Then the train leaves and starts coming towards the guy so she jumps down onto the tracks, gets on top of Peter and rolls them both off of the railroad right before the train hits them. Then she goes to the hospital with him because he’s unconscious and she wants to make sure he’s going to be ok. His family is contacted and they rush to the hospital and see Lucy in the room with Peter and automatically assume she’s his fiancée because she’s sitting by his bed and saying “You can’t die. Please don’t die.”  So Lucy gets thrown into this family and all of their celebrations because they think she’s about to join the family and she doesn’t correct any of them because, for the first time in a long time, she won’t be alone for Christmas.

The plot thickens when Lucy ends up falling in love with Peter’s brother, Jack. (Especially when Peter wakes up with amnesia.) Things get pretty interesting from there but I’m going to stop so you can go watch it for yourself. While You Were Sleeping will always be one of my favorites but it’s hard to choose just one Christmas movie.

However, I think when it comes down to it, all that matters is how the movie makes you feel, not necessarily which Christmas movie you think has the best plot or is the most popular.

The Grinch is definitely one of the Christmas movies you should watch because it’s funny, heartfelt, and will get you excited for the season.

“The Grinch is the best because it teaches the true meaning of Christmas and giving,” senior, Dylan Mortensen, said.

Even though The Grinch is awesome we can’t forget the other classics like Home Alone, Elf, Polar Express, A Christmas Story, and It’s A Wonderful Life. So many top notch movies, so little time.

“Elf or Home Alone are my favorite because they’re funny and I like comedy movies,” senior, Sara Greer, said.

No matter what kind of movies you like, I guarantee anyone can find a Christmas movie they enjoy.