Division 1 Athletes at Farmington High

Delaney Baker, Sports Reporter

Farmington High School’s class of 2022 has more Division 1 athletes than ever before. These athletes include soccer, track, lacrosse, basketball, and much more. Athletes such as Abe Ashby, Sammy Kearns, Marianne Barber, and Nicholas Carrino have worked vigorously to get to where they are and have the opportunity to play their sport in college.

A common struggle among these athletes was the recruiting process. Recruiting is a lot of work through sending emails, talking with coaches, sending in film, and finding the right fit for the athlete. Finding the right fit is harder than people realize. Athletes have to get along with their coaches, like the location, and the school must have the degree they want to study.

“I wasn’t really sure how to be recruited. It took a long time to get a relationship with the coach and then with Covid it was even harder because they couldn’t come watch me play,” Weber State Women’s Soccer commit, Sammie Kearns, said.

Athletes put a lot of thought into the school they end up choosing, and it can often be extremely stressful.

“I chose BYU because of the amazing coach and the team atmosphere. All the athletes are super close to each other and that helps make the sport even more enjoyable,” Brigham Young University’s Women’s track commit, Marianne Barber, said.

Despite these challenges, going through the recruiting process has also been extremely rewarding. Talking with different coaches and visiting different college campuses is an experience many teenagers don’t get to go through.

“I loved seeing new universities and the differences and similarities of each and seeing the different ways university’s run the programs,” University of Marquette Men’s lacrosse commit, Nicholas Carrino, said.

These athletes are now preparing to go play their freshman year. They have worked extremely hard and are ready for the next chapter.

“I got surgery a couple weeks ago so as of right now not very prepared athletically, but academically and other things like living on my own, I’m feeling great. Pre-surgery, I was feeling very prepared to go play at that level and I’ll work to get back to that point,” University of the Incarnate Men’s soccer commit, Abe Ashby said.

Playing Division 1 sports is extremely intimidating, but these athletes have worked hard their entire lives and are prepared for the next level. These athletes have represented Farmington Highschool in an amazing way.