March Madness Finals

Treyden Schow, Sports Reporter

This year’s March Madness was full of difficulties, no matter who you wanted to win. But through it all, the two teams left when it came down to the finals were the Kansas Jayhawks and the North Carolina Tar Heels. The anticipation for this game was incredible and more intense than most years. What set this year apart from other years was the fact that North Carolina made it all the way to the finals as an eight seed which just so happens to be the lowest seed in history ever to win the NCAA tournament. Kansas was a one seed and on a big-time hot streak, so it was all ramping up to be a phenomenal game.

“The last time I watched the finals was when Villanova beat North Carolina,” senior, Lizzy Thomas, said.

The Tar Heels came out ready to play and completely dominated the Jay Hawks in the first half. They led by as many as 16 points and ended the half up by 15 with a score of 40 to 25. Things at this point were not looking too good for the Jayhawks because 15 points is a lot to be down by at the half and not to mention many North Carolina players were heating up like Davis and Baycot. Before this game, the biggest comeback in NCAA history was Loyola Chicago who came back from a 15-point deficit.

“I thought Kansas was going to lose for sure at the half,” sophomore, Tage Schow, said.

Coming out of the second half Kansas looked like a completely different team. Not only were they keeping pace with North Carolina, but they were setting the pace of the game. After a while North Carolina started to fall behind while players like McCormack scored shot after shot, looking unstoppable. It was this momentum that led to a big time run where the Jayhawks went on a nine-point run in under a minute securing their spot as national champions of the NCAA tournament.