To AP or not to AP

Ashlyn Monroe, Student Life Reporter

Farmington High School offers a lot of AP classes, which a majority of the student body takes advantage of. We’ve gotten to the point in the school year where AP tests are coming up and it makes you wonder: is it really worth it? The long hours of homework, the constant test stress, everything hinging on one number you don’t know until July! All of this for a little college credit! It seems a bit ridiculous so we’re here to answer the very question you whisper to yourself over your homework packet: is it worth it?

“In the long run, I think it’s worth it, it’s good to know I’ll have a good amount of my generals done for college but I think that CE might be a bit more helpful if you’re planning on staying in state,” junior, Jaxson Jenkins, said.

AP is no small feat. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work. There is a significant homework load and a surprising amount of tests but for you Summit haters out there, most APs are on canvas! So that’s a plus!

“Honestly, it was so hard. I’m not sure if it was really worth it just because of how hard and stressful it was. I took AP Bio during our weird hybrid year and I really struggled with the setup of the curriculum,” an anonymous student said.

Each AP class is set up differently depending on the teacher and it’s not always for everyone. Some teachers like to test each unit, others are more for term finals. It really depends on the teacher and if you’ve had them before in other classes, maybe decide if you think you’d like them teaching you a harder class.

“It really depends on where you’re going to college and what for. AP classes give you college credit that can be really helpful,” school counselor, Andrea Holbrook, said.

Something to be aware of while deciding whether or not to take AP classes or not is what kind of field you’d like to go into. You don’t need to know exactly what you’d like to do but if you know you want to go into an English major it might be smart to gear yourself towards AP English classes.

AP isn’t for everyone, but it’s definitely something to consider. It can be very helpful in the long run if you approach it with a goal and in a smart way. It can be a great way to prepare for college and make your load a bit lighter in the future. Consider it as an option but be aware of how much you can take on and how worth it you think it is.