New Years Resolutions

New Years Resolutions

Charli Merrill, Student Life Reporter

The tradition of new year’s resolutions is said to have started 4000 years ago by the Babylonians. They threw a huge 12 day celebration called Aitku. During this celebration, they made promises to their gods such as paying their debts or returning borrowed items. If the Babylonians followed through on those “resolutions”, Their gods would reward them with good fortune for the following year. So how have these resolutions changed over the years? And is the concept of making resolutions each year outdated?

According to a 2002 study by the Journal of Clinical Psychology, people who made new year’s resolutions were 44% more likely to succeed in their goals quicker than those who didn’t make any resolutions. On the contrary, a 2016 study states that out of the 41% of those who make a resolution, only 9% feel that they were successful in their efforts. 

But how do students feel? Are these resolutions a helpful effort toward change, or are they pointless? 

“I kind of don’t believe in new year’s resolutions. I feel like you should always have goals you’re trying to complete and it shouldn’t be special for new years because it kind of sets you up to fail. You always kind of expect new year’s resolutions to not work for most people so I feel like you should just always have a goal, ‘ senior, Ellie Wiser, said. 

Nathan Stolle made several goals such as fitness and reading goals. 

“I feel like you need to make small resolutions because if you go too big you’re not going to actually do them. But if you are committed, then they can help,” Nathan said. 

Maren Hunter, also a senior at FHS, made a resolution to become better at her musical instruments. Though she thinks resolutions may help a bit, they can feel almost like an empty promise to her. 

“It’s because I didn’t really think about making a resolution. And I shouldn’t only change for a new year you know? I’m going to just do gradual changes throughout the year,” senior, Sam Lundt, said.

“ I think it depends on who you ask, most people I know don’t take resolutions seriously. But in my case it’s pretty important.” Senior, Armando Tamayo, said. 

As you can see, everyone has different takes on what New Year’s resolutions look like to them. It just depends on the person and what they are wanting to achieve, but just because you don’t make a resolution, doesn’t mean you aren’t able to change and better yourself this next year.