The King

The+King

Cooper Rice, Sports Reporter

The kid from Akron made history once again on February 7th, 2023 surpassing Kareem-Abdul Jabaar as the all time leading scorer of the NBA. Tickets to this game were selling for up to 75,000 dollars, and tickets in the highest level selling for hundreds. This momentous occasion brought out many celebrities including Jay-Z, Floyd Mayweather, Bad Bunny, and Denzel Washington. Lebron also brought his entire family, his mother, and his high school basketball teammates to watch. Surprisingly the man who had previously held the record Kareem was at the game, even after rumors of him and Lebron having a bad relationship surfaced. 

James went into the game against the Oklahoma City Thunder needing 36 points to break a record that at one time people deemed “unbreakable.” He started off the game hot, having 20 points at half time with very efficient numbers. The crowd was electric, cheering anxiously each time he got the ball as the record got closer and closer to being broken. In the third quarter James flourished, and with 34 points nearing the end of the quarter, he needed just two more points to surpass Kareem and take the scoring title. With just over 10 seconds on the shot clock Lebron made a fade-away jumper, and added another record to his outstanding career in the NBA. The crowd erupted and the game was stopped to recognize this accomplishment. Lebron hugged his family and shook the hands of many including the NBA commissioner Adam Silver and Kareem Abdul Jabaar. In his speech after taking the title, he thanked the fans, his family, friends, and talked about how it was a dream come true. James had this to say, “I thank you guys so much for allowing me to be a part of something I’ve always dreamed about, and I would never ever in a million years have dreamt this would have been better than what it is tonight.”

As James is in his 20th season in the NBA his future is uncertain, but he has said that he plans on staying in the league until he can play with his oldest son Bronny. As he continues to play and score he will build upon a record that will may never be touched. Lebron James has once again cemented himself in the history books.