Fun in Farmington: Spring Activites

Charli Merrill, Student Life Reporter

Though it may not feel like it outside, warmer weather is speedily approaching with the first official day of spring being March 30th. With sunnier days on the horizon, it’s a smart idea to get planning some adventures for springtime!

A spring activity essential is always going to be a picnic. Salt Lake City is especially beautiful this time of year because of all of the blooming flowers. The state capitol is a classic picnic location and has very pretty blossoms during springtime.

Being so close to the mountain provides a great opportunity to try out different hiking spots. Some of the more popular hikes are Farmington pond, mirror lake, Mueller park trail, etc. there are 38 trails in the Farmington area alone that covers nearly 300 miles of land.

During the warmer seasons, drive-in movies are a fun substitute for the typical theater experience. Most drive-ins are the same price or less for an arguably more entertaining evening. There are many drive-ins scattered around Utah with the closest being Coleman’s Motor Vu in Riverdale. 

One of my favorite spring pastimes is going on walks. March-May is the perfect walking weather because you can be comfortable without overheating OR freezing. One of the best walks is the Ogden Parkway. It runs for about 5 miles and follows the river all the way from the mouth of Ogden Canyon. Another great walking location is Sugarhouse Park, just south of downtown SLC. It’s very popular for dog walking and gets fairly busy during the warmer months. 

Last but not least, starting the last weekend of March, Lagoon opens its doors on Saturday and Sunday. It will continue to open weekends until the end of the school year when it switches to full time.