The Student News Site of Farmington High School

Nix News

Nix News

Nix News

Polls

What grade are you in?

• Sophomore (36%, 14 Votes)
  • Junior (36%, 14 Votes)
  • Senior (28%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 39

Loading ... Loading ...

Next Goal Wins review

Next Goal Wins review

“Next Goal Wins” is a captivating film based on a true story, running at 104 minutes. Despite its mixed reception with a 6.5/10 rating on IMDb and a 45% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, I personally rate it a perfect 10/10.

Directed by Taika Waititi, the movie follows the journey of a Dutch-American coach, Thomas Rongen, who is tasked with revitalizing the FFAS (American Samoa’s football team) after their devastating 31-0 loss to Australia. Rongen faces the daunting challenge of turning around a team with little experience and resources, but his determination and coaching prowess shine through.

One of the most inspiring aspects of the film is the inclusion of Jaiyah Saelua, the first transgender woman to compete and finish a World Cup qualifying game. Her presence not only adds depth to the narrative but also sheds light on the diversity and resilience within the American Samoan community. The film beautifully showcases her journey and the importance of acceptance and inclusivity.

Moreover, “Next Goal Wins” doesn’t just focus on the sporting aspect but also delves into the cultural nuances of American Samoa. The portrayal of fa’afafine, such as Jaiyah, is particularly poignant, highlighting the rich tapestry of identities within the community and the significance of embracing one’s true self.

What sets “Next Goal Wins” apart is Taika Waititi’s masterful blend of humor and heart. He navigates the narrative with sensitivity and authenticity, making the film both entertaining and thought-provoking. It’s a testament to the human spirit and the power of resilience in the face of adversity.

In conclusion, “Next Goal Wins” is a phenomenal movie that not only entertains but also educates and inspires. It offers a window into life in American Samoa and celebrates the universal values of hope, perseverance, and community. For me, it’s a favorite that I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone looking for a meaningful cinematic experience.