The Student News Site of Farmington High School

Nix News

Nix News

Nix News

Polls

What grade are you in?

• Sophomore (36%, 14 Votes)
  • Junior (36%, 14 Votes)
  • Senior (28%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 39

Loading ... Loading ...

Movie Review – The Iron Claw

Movie Review - The Iron Claw

“The Iron Claw,” an A24 film directed by Sean Durkin, delves into the captivating narrative of the renowned wrestling family, the Von Erichs. Starring Zac Efron as Kevin, Jeremy Allen White as Kerry, Harris Dickinson as David, and Stanley Simons as Mike, the film intricately portrays the lives of the Von Erich brothers. Released on December 22, 2023, with a budget of $15.9 million, it garnered over $44 million at the box office, securing the 80th rank in the national box office for 2023.

All of the actors did an excellent job, especially with their Texan accents as well. I love how the accents weren’t very stereotypical but real and raw. Even with the names such as “ma and pop.” With every scene, whether it be family bonding or wrestling pain, the actors convinced me that they were family or they had just finished a 15-minute match. Regardless, the cast performed wonderfully and would all fit right into rural Texas.

The film had the most sublime color grading and wardrobe. The color grading was such a compliment to the wardrobe of the cast. Many people mistake the 80s for vibrancy and flash. Which it was but to a tea. I feel that the wardrobe was a Texan twist with some rural country sprinkled onto typical clothes. For the wrestling outfits though they had the most amazing complimenting colors which were brought to life by the color grading. 

My favorite thing about the whole film was how Durkin portrayed brotherhood. Although I am a girl I grew up with all brothers and my mom wasn’t around so I didn’t experience much femininity. So specific scenes remind me of my childhood with my brothers. Those scenes make me feel at home and happy. Another reason why I love this movie is because I relate to it in a way. Just like the beginning of the movie, I was close to my brothers but as we grew up things started to change. Around 4 years I lost my oldest brother. It was by suicide. When the scene of Mike taking the bottle of pills showed I couldn’t help but sob. I thought to myself that my brother had done the same as well. My other brothers are still alive, thankfully, although one is still recovering from his drug and alcohol abuse. Seeing the brothers go through issues reminds me of my own family.

After Kerry’s death, Kerry reunites with his brothers, Jack Jr, David, and Mike. The scene brought comfort knowing if this was the afterlife my oldest brother would be reunited with our dad and many other family members. 

Yes, this movie is sad and every time I watch it I sob uncontrollably. But the scenes of brotherhood, family, passion, and awesome wrestling bring me comfort especially imagining my own family waiting for me at the end of the pond.