English Teachers Give Their Book Suggestions

Mayli Winter, Reporter

Do you ever finish a book and have no idea what to read next? You could go to the library, but there are just so many options and you don’t know what to pick. That’s why  some English teachers suggested some of their all-time favorite books to you. So, you don’t have to make that hard choice by yourself. You’re welcome. 

Cassie Hendricks is a new English teacher this year and the book she would recommend to people is Don Quixote. Don Quixote is a story, by Miguel de Cervantes, about a man named Don Quixote who thinks that he’s a knight. He wants more adventure in his life and decides to go on a quest with his servant, Sancho Panza. His quest is to save Dulcinea del Toboso, who may or may not exist. Hendricks likes this book because it is very metacognitive, and it makes you think a lot. It is also very clever word play and unique.  

“I don’t think there’s anything like it, and how it influences the future generations of literature,” Hendricks said.

Becca Dastrup is also an English teacher at Farmington High, she has more of a favorite author than book. She found Lois Duncan’s books when she was in high school and loved them. Lois Duncan has written many great mysteries including I Know What You Did Last Summer which became a movie in 1997. Some of Dastrup’s favorites are; Stranger with my Face, Locked in Time and The Third Eye. 

“I just like a good mystery, I guess,” Dastrup said when asked why she likes Duncan’s books. 

Amanda Weaver is in her second year at Farmington High and recommends the book 13 Reasons Why by Jake Asher. This book is about a girl in high school who commits suicide and sends tapes to 13 people who were steppingstones in her choice to commit suicide explaining why and it shows what happens afterwards. Weaver thinks that this book can help those who may be suicidal maybe see how that choice could affect others. It can also help other people to see warning signs, almost like an informational book. Weaver hasn’t read more by him, but she would because he does a good job of talking about very difficult topics in not necessarily trigger warning way. 

“Although I don’t agree with the fact that she’s blaming her actions upon 13 other people, I think it does show the magnitude of her actions and how they can have consequences that we don’t always see,” Weaver said when explaining the plot.  

So maybe one of these books will be the next one you read. If one of these books sound very interesting to you, you should read it. Ask your English teacher what their favorite book is, you may find your new favorite book this way.