National Ding-a-Ling Day Is Not What You’d Expect

Lexi Day, Reporter

Here in the United States of America, there are some pretty interesting national days. Almost everyone has heard of National Pi Day, and National Waffle Day, but there are numerous others that almost nobody has heard of. One of these days is National Ding-a-Ling Day.

National Ding-a-Ling Day is on December 12, a Thursday this year. Though this national day sounds like it could mean quite a few things, not all of them appropriate, Ding-a-Ling Day is actually a day to reconnect with family members and friends. Sometimes people go all year without talking to people they know. This national day is the time of the year to send them a text message and say hello. (The ding-a-ling referring to the noise a phone makes when you get a notification.)

As was said before, this national day is a little unclear in its meaning. Everyone has their own first impression of what this day is all about. What do the students here at Farmington think it is?

“Something not appropriate,” Farmington Senior, Felicia Tolman, said.

That was probably the first impression of many people that hear about this national day. But, knowing what this day is actually about, who would she contact?

“Probably my sister. She lives really far away and I don’t see her very often…it’d be good to reconnect,” Tolman said.

Some would call family, others would call friends. It just depends on how the year has gone.

“I probably would contact my old best friend from where I used to live,” Farmington Junior, Ari Broderick, said.

A lot of national holidays here in the US are ones that people don’t always take time to recognize. Some of them are a little silly, but others have a good reason behind them. Whatever your first impression of National Ding-a-Ling Day, appropriate or not, it can be nice to remember that it’s good to have a day to talk to those you don’t see all the time.