The Student News Site of Farmington High School

Nix News

Nix News

Nix News

Polls

What grade are you in?

• Sophomore (36%, 14 Votes)
  • Junior (36%, 14 Votes)
  • Senior (28%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 39

Loading ... Loading ...

New Phone Policy???

New Phone Policy???

The governor has recently been trying to push a policy that would limit the use of phones in classes, Because of this the district has had a meeting just a few weeks ago talking about how to implement this into our school.

These phone changes will look different for each school, wanting some more information on this topic we went to ask the principal how this would look at our school.

“At this point there will be changes to the cell phone policy, but we haven’t made them official yet, but it really will be up to the teachers for their classroom, because we know that you need to use cellphones in some classes.” Assistant Principal, Tim Allen said.

Although our school is definitely going to let us have more freedom with our phones than other schools, many students have still been against the idea of teachers having more power on whether or not they are on their phones. Some of the students were agreeing with this policy saying that it would likely help them improve their grades even if they wouldn’t get to use their phones as much, however many were not very happy with the idea of the new phone policy.

“I think it’s kind of dumb for the people who actually do work but like when they’re done can go on their phones like I am like that, I finish my work then I can go on my phone so it’s like I think that’s unfair.” Sophomore Audrey Scott said.

Many people are just upset about the aspect of their phones being taken away. Many students in the school will be affected by this as they will still be here next year, however some students have pointed out some possible problems that the new phone policy might cause.

“Some students need they’re phones for mental health reasons. They need to use them because they’re struggling in general and just need to text their friend real quick or text their mom ‘hey please check me out’ or text a friend ‘hey I’m struggling how can you help’ or sometimes even kids with diabetes need their phones to regulate their blood sugar.” Senior, Hope Larson said.

Although many students and even some teachers are against this it will likely be in place next year. Who knows how long it will be in place or what changes it might make to the daily lives of students.