Can’t Walk with a U?

Lily Brough, Student Life Reporter

Seniors, graduation is approaching! Which is super exciting but also can be nerve wracking. To be able to walk with your peers at the graduation ceremony, you aren’t allowed to have any “U’s” on your transcripts. Here are some ways to get them done, or avoid getting one. 

Ways you get a “U” is being absent or late a certain amount of times, your behavior in the class and at school, or continually turning in your work late. Students are responsible to meet the expectations set by their teachers. As far as tardies and absences, the bare minimum is 4 tardies and 6 unexcused absences. After that it will result in a “U”. 

There are two different types of “U’s” you can receive. A teacher “U” or an administrative “U”. Teacher “U’s” are mainly based on the examples above.

How to get rid of that “U” is, “Contact the Citizenship secretary to be enrolled in one of three Citizenship Credit Recovery Courses on Canvas. A student must complete one module and pay the $5 citizenship credit recovery fee for each U (.25 credits) being recovered.” Said in the Student Policy Handbook under, Citizenship Make-up credit.

An administrative “U” is taken a lot more seriously. It can be given out by cheating, theft, fighting, truancies, etc. In order to make this “U’ up you will have to take the Canvas Module, pay the $5 fine and will be deemed ineligible for any extracurricular activity for that term.

It is now the fourth term, meaning every senior planning to graduate only has less than two more months to get their “U” fixed and off their record. Once a “U” is given it will permanently stay there until fixed. If you are still confused or unsure what to do go talk to your counselor as soon as possible. Or if you don’t know if you have or will have one, talk to your teachers and get things sorted out before it’s too late.

We want to see all senior students walking at graduation, do it sooner than later!