The Student News Site of Farmington High School

Nix News

Nix News

Nix News

Polls

What grade are you in?

• Sophomore (36%, 14 Votes)
  • Junior (36%, 14 Votes)
  • Senior (28%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 39

Loading ... Loading ...

NFL Draft

NFL Draft

Starting out as a small event, the NFL Draft today is a huge extravaganza and it has its roots in the formative years of the league. The first draft was held in 1936, where teams submitted lists to choose their players. This simple procedure defined the birth of a system that would come to be at the heart of the NFL’s acquisition game. 

The draft has been modified several times over a long period. The 1960s saw the event change to a centralized venue, becoming a public gathering. This adjustment contributed not only to increased exposure but also to fan participation. As years passed, it continued to evolve, taking new forms such as television broadcasts, making it a significant event for NFL fans.

The AFL-NFL merger in 1970 was a major milestone in the history of the draft. In the outcome of this merger, a unified selection system emerged whereby teams from both leagues can choose players from the shared talent pool. The draft was also an important element in promoting balanced competition in a league that was on the verge of growing. 

A regular draft turned into a star for all NFL teams after 1990 when free agency was introduced. In the early years, this became the primary way to build rosters, with teams using a combination of the draft and players acquired on the open market. This changed everything because it meant that the teams had two options: to pick the best player at their position who can provide an immediate impact or to select someone who they could develop for the long-term future 

It has happened in the past few years that the NFL Draft is more than a one-day event; it is a three-day spectacle that receives lots of attention and media coverage. The draft goes beyond just helping a team to build players; it’s a cultural event where we witness young talents wishing and hoping that their dreams will come true and that they will soon be professional footballers. The NFL Draft has a deep heritage that embodies the growth of the league, as well as the perpetual fervor and thrill related to its yearly eventful decision-making.