Who is the Soccer Goat?

Alexander Gray, Sports Reporter

Soccer is the biggest sport in the world. It is played all over the world and is known to be the best sport ever. Billions of people come together for 90 minutes to watch some guys kick around a ball. To be the best soccer player is a very hard feat. Only a few guys ever have been in the GOAT talk. The top two are Messi and Ronaldo. Statistically it is very close competition. The two of them also have different attributes that make them great. We asked a few people who they think is the goat. 

First, we asked a soccer player here at the school what his thoughts are.

“Messi is obviously the greatest soccer player of all time. The fact that he won the world cup and was able to win so many Ballon D’ors just makes it obvious.” Senior, Dayton Patrick, said. 

With 7 Ballon D’ors Lionel Messi has the most out of anyone. By the time he was 24 he had already won three of them. That is something that will most likely never be done again. Ronaldo has 5 of them but he is getting old now and he will never win again. Messi however will probably win another one this year. 

We then asked a Sophomore at our highschool who they think is the best and this is what they said. “Cristiano Ronaldo is easily the best player. Stats are one thing but his athleticism and his overall swagger makes the decision easy for me.” sophomore, Kolson Helquist, said. 

Statistics are generally what you look at to determine GOAT status. There are a lot of players that can do cool tricks and can dress and act cool. At Nixnews we think that Kolsons’ argument is not the best. 

In conclusion, there are many different opinions on who the best soccer player could be. If you look at the statistics and really study the game the answer should be obvious, but if you are a person that looks at who can do the fancy moves and who can dress the best that is valid too.